Strategic Planning ABCs: Alignment, Board Engagement, Clarity
A strategic plan provides high-level direction and ensures effective board governance for an organization.
Learn why having a strategic plan is important to your organization and how this can be achieved.
This workshop focuses on the importance of a strategic plan and outlines its components.
Date & Tme: June 6, 2017 l 5:00pm - 8:30pm
Location: 1183 Melville Street, Downtown Vancouver
Cost: $75.00 (Spring Sale)
- Participants with a current strategic plan will be able to evaluate the strengths of what they currently have in place and how to evolve it further.
- Participants new to strategic planning will be able to start the preparation and development of a strategic plan for their organization.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Define the role of the board and the role of management in preparing for and developing a strategic plan
- Evaluate the differences between a strategic plan and an operational plan
- Outline different types of environmental scans and their role in effective preparation for strategic planning
- Decribe the five components of a strategic plan for your organization: Vision, mission, success, strategic goals and values
The Importance of a Strategic Plan in Aligning People to Mission
- To provide high-level, future-looking direction for everyone in the organization
- To align ALL of the people in the organization (board, staff and knowledge philanthropists) to the mission of the organization
The Leadership Ladder
- The big picture – these are all the levels involved in aligning people to mission
- Examine which parts are board-led and which are staff-led
- Some of these are part of the strategic plan, some part of the operational plan
Now City of Vancouver
With over two decades of experience in strategic and operational planning and implementation, Nicki partners with her clients in envisioning and realizing new projects, programs, processes, and organizations with a social impact.
As a certified project manager, she conceptualizes each initiative as part of a system and plan strategically for optimum processes, outputs, and outcomes. While a results-oriented dedicated planner, who starts by planning the plan, she also recognizes the innovation that ensues from spontaneity. To support this approach, she proactively identifies risks and mitigation strategies, tightly monitor scope, schedule, and budget, and work closely with all stakeholders to successfully bring each initiative to fruition.
Nicki’s deep urge to problem-solve and positively contribute to society goes hand in hand with her inquisitive nature. She doesn’t shy away from asking the difficult questions. She listens to her clients to understand their business needs and ask the critical questions that help surface their assumptions and bring more clarity to their intentions. As a mixed media artist who is analytical, she thinks visually and has an exceptional ability to interpret, analyze, connect and present information to meet different audience needs.
Having worked in both the public and private sectors, in various industries, and different countries, Nicki is highly adaptable. Over the years, she has worked with some amazingly talented people and is a strong believer of tapping into the collective intelligence of the team and community for best results. While tackling each opportunity, she enjoys co-creating productive and inspirational working relationships and environments