Board Governance Academy
The success of your organization begins with your Executive Director - Board Chair team.
The Executive Director - Board Chair partnership is vital to the success of your organization. A strong partnership aligns your organization to your mission and supports the achievement of strategic goals.
Board Governance Academy is an innovative program designed for Executive Director and Board Chair teams to maximize their relationship and achieve best practices in areas like facilitating strategic discussions and managing board dynamics and conflict.
This program offers a multi-faceted approach to building a high-functioning partnership through in-class and e-learning, peer interaction, and valuable expert facilitation.
Your Executive Director - Board Chair team and your organization benefit!
Integrating e-learning and self-assessments with in-class training sessions, the cohort model of the program fosters the executive director and board chair to:
- Strengthen your organizational culture. A high-performing Executive Director-Board Chair partnership sets your organizational tone and results in strengthened culture, increased productivity and improved program delivery.
- Increase your board’s effectiveness. Lead your board as a team to align their work and focus on strategic goals.
- Develop constructive conflict processes. With shared leadership and management, the Executive Director and Board Chair work collaboratively to manage conflict and apply it to increase your organizational outcomes.
- Receive up to two hours of advisory support from a not-for-profit expert during or after the program
Who Should Participate
Both your organization's board chair and executive director should complete each in-class and e-learning session.
Along with attending the in-class sessions your team will:
- Complete a leadership assessment
- Review all eLearning courses
- Schedule and complete assigned tasks/activities in between sessions
City of Vancouver Bursary Application: April 5, 2019 at 4:00pm PT
Please note there has been a date change from May 3 to May 10
1. E-learning | TBA (participants receive e-learning materials)
2. E-learning | TBA (e-learning modules must be viewed by this date)
3. In-class | May 10, 2019 from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
4. In-class | May 31, 2019 from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Location: 1183 Melville Street, Vancouver
Cost: $1375 per team - executive director & board chair (or equivalent positions)
Roles and Responsibilities
- Critical role of the board chair
- Executive director role
Strengthening the Partnership
- Shared decision making
- Setting goals and expectations
- Leading together towards mission
- Increasing collaboration and shared decision-making
- Regular communication and conversation starters
Trust and Transparency
- Building trust and transparency
- Embracing productive conflict
- Enhancing shared leadership
- Operating structures that support effective governance
- Inspiring shared vision and mission alignment
- Strategic discussions and the generative curve
- Enhancing board engagement and board culture
Anchored in John Fulwider’s learnings, Better Together, this program is designed to:
- Ensure clarity and consistency around the roles and responsibilities of the board chair and the executive in leading, governing and managing the organization
- Improve team leadership by strengthening the working relationship between the chair and the executive - creating a stronger board and a mission-driven organization
- Create continuity of leadership through a shared learning experience
- Gain tactics and tools for transferring information to your organization
Transform your organization. Move your executive director - board chair relationship from good to great!
For more information, contact
Client Relations Coordinator
Transform your organization. Move your executive director-board chair relationship from good to great!
Spring Schedule 2019
Spring 2019 City of Vancouver Grantee Bursary Application Deadline
April 5, 2019 | 4:00pm
TBA | Participants receive learning materials
TBA | E-learning modules must be viewed
Please note there has been a date change from May 3 to May 10.
May 10, 2019 | 9:00am - 4:00pm
May 31, 2019 | 9:00am - 4:00pm