Essentials for New Managers
Become an effective manager with the tools to lead your team to success.
Essentials for New Managers is a program for new and aspiring not-for-profit managers to strengthen their management skills.
Over three sessions, program participants gain tools and approaches to achieve success in their new management role.
Is Essentials for New Managers Right for You?
You are an ideal candidate if you:
- are new to a not-for-profit management role or are looking to be promoted in the next 6-12 months
- provide leadership or supervision in your current role
- have a vision to take on further management responsibilities in your not-for-profit career
If you are the sole employee in your organization (e.g. the executive director), this may NOT be the best program for you. We encourage you to also consider our other programs including: Leadership Principles, Executive Lab, and our many workshops available.
Come away with tangible tools, ideas, and practices to apply in your management role.
- Leave this program equipped with leadership and communication skills to effectively manage work flow, individuals, and teams.
- Identify priorities for succeeding in your first management role.
- Develop a strong understanding of your role and responsibilities as a first-time manager, and how to navigate the common challenges as a new manager.
Day 1: Your Role as a Manager within Your Organizational Context
- Gain a strong understanding of your role and responsibilities as a manager
- Build a strong foundation in topics including: leading vs. managing, performance support, managing a budget, and reporting on outcomes
- Learn how to make time for your team and how to transition from an individual contributor to a manager
- Gain skills to pro-actively deliver results while managing stress and time constraints
Day 2: Effectively Manage Team Work Flows
- Practice setting clear, mutually understood expectations with your direct reports and learn the common communication pitfalls that can cause misunderstandings
- Learn tools and techniques for effective planning, prioritization, and decision making
- Build your comfort with delegation and learn when and how to delegate
- Practice effective delegation conversations
Day 3: Support Your Team’s Performance
- Learn how to build successful teams, including recruiting, hiring, and training new team members
- Facilitate effective goal setting through understanding team members’ priorities and motivations
- Build trust and confidence with staff by providing ongoing feedback and performance evaluations
- Practice difficult conversations
Required Course Material
Top 5 CliftonStrengths (to be completed individually before the start of the course). Cost of Top 5 CliftonStrengths is covered by a grant from the RBC Foundation. Successful applicants will receive a link to this tool before the start of the program.
2019 Summer Schedule
June 10, 2019 | 5:30pm - 8:30pm
June 17, 2019 | 5:30pm - 8:30pm
June 24, 2019 | 5:30pm - 8:30pm
Deadline: May 10, 2019 at 4 pm
Prework: conduct a quick organizational assessment and take a self-assessment before the start of the program
Elevate your career and strengthen your impact as a new not-for-profit manager.
This lab supported by the RBC Foundation’s Future Launch initiative.
Questions about Essentials for New Managers? Get in touch with us:
Client Relations Coordinator
Level-up your performance as a manager.
2019 Summer Schedule
June 10, 2019 | 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
June 17, 2019 | 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
June 24, 2019 | 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Deadline: May 1, 2019 at 4pm
Prework: conduct a quick organizational assessment and take a self assessment before the start of the program
Vantage Point Office, Downtown Vancouver
1183 Melville Street
Vancouver, BC V6E 2X5
This lab is generously supported through a grant provided by the The RBC Foundation.