Board Chair Breakfast Series
Date & Time: February 28, 2019 | 7:30am – 9:00am.
Location: BCIT Downtown Campus, 555 Seymour Street, Vancouver (Room 280/282/284)
Who should attend: board chairs, board members, executive directors
Build essential knowledge on the legal responsibilities of your not-for-profit board.
As a board chair, understanding the legalities of not-for-profit governance is a critical part of your role. You lead a team of board members, develop and nurture a strong relationship with senior leadership, and are a catalyst for critical board discussions.
Over the next three board chair breakfasts, learn how the law impacts your board & organization – and how to ensure your board understands their legal roles & responsibilities. We will cover these topics from the unique lens of the board chair, and how to successfully integrate legal best practices.
Each event we will cover a specific topic with a legal expert who is ready to share their insights and expertise.
Topic: A Conversation on Not-for-Profit Advocacy
Learn how to lead your board on advocacy discussions and decision making.
Advocacy is an important part of many not-for-profit organizations. This forum will build your understanding of when and how to be involved in advocacy work that your organization is pursuing.
Join us for a conversation between Mary Childs and Alison Brewin who will use Vantage Point as a case study to understand the legal implications of not-for-profit advocacy work. Also hear about the implications of the Canada Without Poverty case in Ontario.
Discover the answers to key questions including:
- What do I need to know before pursuing advocacy work with my not-for-profit organization?
- What is the legal responsibility of boards when it comes to advocacy?
- Does the 10% rule still apply to not-for-profit organizations?
Associate Counsel, Miller Thomson
Board Chair, Canadian Centre of Policy Alternatives
Executive Director, Vantage Point
Vice-Chair, Governance Board, UBC Board of Govenors
This stimulating and interactive forum will:
- Elevate your awareness around legal challenges board chairs face
- Promote the exchange of ideas and best practices on compliance with not-for-profit law
- Build connections with board chairs from across the sector
- 7:30 – 8:00 Registration and breakfast
- 8:00 – 8:20 Advocacy: A conversation with Alison Brewin & Mary Childs
- 8:20 – 8:40 RoundTable Discussions
- 8:40 – 9:00 Q&A
Here Not Available - City
of Vancouver Bursary Join Interest