Job Posting: Director of Government Relations and Sector Development
At Vantage Point, we transform not-for-profit organizations by convening, connecting, and equipping leaders to lift organizational capacity. We support the sector by...
- growing as a living laboratory that practices a spirit of abundance,
- curating tools and promising practices that can benefit not-for-profits and
- convening supported community conversations in support of sector capacity.
We focus on strengths and create opportunities to lift the capacity of our members, participants and clients to be successful in their vision and mission and build networks of generative leaders to support the well-being of communities across the province. Focusing on strengths and opportunities
The Director of Government Relations and Sector Development is a key leadership position at Vantage Point and for the province. This role provides strategic direction on Vantage Point’s mission to build the capacity of the not-for-profit sector in BC through membership engagement, sector development and government relations. By engaging Vantage Point members in important discussions of mutual interest, the Director of GR and Sector Development will frame Vantage Point submissions to government in support of a positive policy environment for the sector. Key competencies include high level facilitation skills, partnership development, people engagement and systems thinking.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and implement a government relations strategy to deepen and establish relationships with local, regional and provincial levels of government;
- Work with members and sector partners to build a positive policy environment for charities and not-for-profits in BC;
- Work with experts, skilled volunteers and members to identify opportunities for positive change;
- Provide support for funders to pilot or implement capacity building and infrastructure investment in the not-for-profit sector in BC; and
- Develop, draft and speak publicly on policy, regulatory and other needs of the not-for-profit sector in BC.
- Support the expansion of Vantage Point services and membership throughout the province to ensure diverse and representative Vantage Point membership;
- Identify and engage not-for-profits throughout BC in Vantage Point programs, services, and activities through proactive research, community outreach, and relationship building;
- Provide strategic leadership in planning and running membership campaigns;
- Support the development, facilitation, and coordination of member Working Groups on topics of relevance to the Sector (currently Re-Imagining Governance, Sector Narrative, Decent Work, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Government Relations); and
- Work with the whole team to ensure Vantage Point membership opportunities and benefits are effectively communicated to the organization’s community of clients, Knowledge Philanthropists (KPs aka skilled volunteers), board members and workshop participants.
Strategic Relationship Management
- Deepen relationships with provincial organizations from various sub-sectors including health care, housing, sport, the arts and professional associations;
- Initiate and deepen relationships with regional funding bodies and other funders to invest in not-for-profit capacity; and,
- Represent Vantage Point, its mission and vision, with professionalism and commitment.
Consulting and Facilitation
- Act as lead consultant on consulting engagements, particularly strategic consulting contracts that help advance the needs of the whole sector such as work with umbrella organizations, piloting innovative approaches to governance and capacity building, and meeting the needs of key leaders and stakeholders in the sector in BC;
- Facilitate training sessions and workshops for senior executives and board members from not-for-profit organizations on a variety of topics including capacity building, leadership, team building, board governance, and more;
- Provide facilitation and consulting support to Vantage Point clients as needed;
- Support research and delivery of new governance models with a diverse range of organizations, including funders, not-for-profits, and governments.
Project scoping and delivery
- Identify and support effective framing of capacity building and sector development projects that will lead to funding opportunities for Vantage Point;
- Work with key stakeholders and partners throughout BC to build collaborative projects that will benefit the capacity of the sector to achieve its collective potential;
- Collaborate with team members to develop and implement project plans, including key deliverables, timelines, milestones, budgets and evaluation;
- Support the delivery team members to ensure successful completion of project deliverables – especially where there are sector-wide and strategic implications in the success of the project - which may include undertaking research, conducting organizational assessments, governance assessment and reviews, stakeholder interviews, and group facilitation with not-for-profits; and,
- Evaluate deliverables and efficiently manage project timelines, navigating changes to project scope, and ensuring data collection for reporting to the ED and Board of Vantage Point, and project funders, and investors.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Graduate degree in relevant area such as planning, not-for-profit leadership, public policy, public administration, or equivalent experience in these areas
- 5+ years plus in not-for-profit management and/or consulting
- Experience with the not-for-profit environment
- Experience in strategic planning
- Knowledge and experience in government relations, law reform and/or political systems in Canada
- A highly collaborative work ethic
- Proven experience in building, managing inclusive environments and applying equity and diversity practices
- Solid organizational skills with a keen eye for detail
- Certification in project management, facilitation, and other relevant competencies an asset
- Skill in group facilitation and design of community engagement processes and events
- Ability to draft clear and compelling written proposals and present ideas in an interesting and organized manner
- Strategic thinker with ability to identify and develop new partnership opportunities
- High aptitude for technology, including Microsoft Office Suite (including PowerPoint) and CRMs (e.g. Salesforce)
- Personal commitment to ongoing learning and delivering work with excellence
- Commitment to Vantage Point’s 5 Organizational Principles and mutually developed Staff Team Values
Salary and benefits: $80-85,000 depending on experience, extended health benefits, defined pension plan and 3 weeks holiday plus paid leave over Dec/new Year holiday week.
NOTE: Vantage Point strives to build a diverse and inclusive team. One of our current Strategic goals is to develop and model meaningful equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) practices. Individuals with life experience and knowledge of promising practices in EDI are encouraged to apply. Vantage Point is particularly interested in considering applications from Indigenous leaders to reflect and support the not-for-profit sector’s interest in advancing the Truth and Reconciliation movement in BC.
Please apply for the role at our Charity Village posting.